The Ortu Group
Main Group and f-Block Organometallic Chemistry
Welcome to the webpage of the Ortu Research Group
- 5/2023: Preprint published in ChemRxiv describing a blueprint for the stabilisation of subvalent heavy Group 2 complexes. Work led by Alex and in collaboration with Claire McMullin (Bath) and Inigo Vitorica (Manchester). Well done everyone!
- 4/2023: The group attends the Dalton 2023 conference. Alex and Fabs give oral contributions, whilst Archie and Matthew present posters. Matthew is also one of the winners of the Sir Geoffrey Wilkinson Prize for best poster presentation – congratulations Matthew!
- 4/2023: The group attends the inaugural Midlands Inorganic Discussions meeting in Warwick and Matthew gives an oral contribution.
- 4/2023: Fabs is awarded an RSC Outreach grant to run a Chemistry Summer School at the University of Leicester.
- 3/2023: Matthew passes his viva voce with flying colours and is the first PhD student to graduate from the group. Thanks to Prof. Rab Mulvey and Dr Sandy Kilpatrick for doing the honours. Well done Dr Stevens!
Who we are and what we do
We are a synthetic group based at the School of Chemistry, University of Leicester. Our research focuses on the organometallic chemistry of main group and f-block metals. Together with improving our fundamental understanding of these elements, we want to exploit their physicochemical properties for developing new methodologies applied to sustainable synthesis. Go to our Research page to know more about this, or visit the Group page to meet our team.As you can see, we love Schlenk-line chemistry…
Find out more about our research interests and current research themes
Go here to find out about opportunities to join our Team
Dr Fabrizio Ortu
Go here to know more about Fabs, his academic CV and favourite pastimes
List of publications in peer-reviewed journals from the Fabs and the Group
Meet the Team
Get to know our Research Team and find out more about each Group member
Hot (and cold) off the press…
Fabrizio Ortu, PhD MRSC
Office 2.19, School of Chemistry
University of Leicester
LE1 7RH Leicester
Tel: +44(0)116 294 4670