Fabrizio Ortu, PhD MRSC
Lecturer in Chemistry
Office 2.19, School of Chemistry
University of Leicester
LE1 7RH, Leicester, UK
Fabrizio ‘Fabs’ Ortu hails from Sassari (Sardinia, IT). Fabs studied Chemistry at the University of Sassari, where he obtained his Laurea Magistrale (MRes) in 2009. He moved to Nottingham in 2010 for his PhD studies, where he worked under the supervision of Prof. Deborah Kays on s-block coordination chemistry. After completing his PhD course, he moved to Manchester in 2014 to work under the supervision of Dr David Mills (and many other PIs!), covering a wide range of topics in lanthanide and actinide chemistry. In June 2019, Fabs joined the Department of Chemistry at the University of Leicester to start his independent career and work as a Lecturer.
Fabs still pretends to be interested in keeping fit, although his glory days as a basketball player are now merely a blurred memory. Fabs still enjoys reading and collecting comics, listening to obscure ’70s music and watching The Blues Brothers every Christmas.
- 2019-present: Lecturer in Chemistry; University of Leicester.
- 2014-2019: Research Associate; The University of Manchester (Dr David Mills, Prof. Steve Liddle, Prof. Richard Winpenny, Dr Louise Natrajan).
- 2014: PhD in Inorganic Chemistry; University of Nottingham (Prof. Deborah Kays).
- 2009: Laurea di II livello in Chimica (MRes equivalent); Università degli Studi di Sassari.
- 2007: Laurea di I livello in Chimica (BSc equivalent); Università degli Studi di Sassari.
Awards and Recognition
- Magnetochemistry Travel Award 2018 (ICCC2018, Sendai).
- Manchester & District RSC Local Section Bursary (ICOMC2016, Melbourne).
- Dalton Division Travel Grant (ICOMC2016, Melbourne).
- RSC Dalton Division UK/Canada Ambassador Bursary (CSC 2015, Ottawa).
- RSC Small Grant for Scientific Activities (2014/15).
Memberships of Scientific Societies
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Member of the British Crystallography Association.